So, it seems that the thing I liked most about the CB project was the project, less the riding. So, I’m selling the CB in order to start the next project! Somebody gets a sweet CB restoration and I get space in my garage for the next one. See here for some pictures of the progress. This is a kick-ass custom resto-mod on a classic vintage japanese bike. The big customizers charge twice as much for less work. This is a killer opportunity.
Stored only in a garage, under a cover. Clean, current title in my name.
Asking $4000 firm. Interested folks in the Twin Cities can do this Craigslist style (i.e. come over with cash 😉 and tell me in the comments. Current Craigslist posting here.
4-into-1 exhaust, jet kit, pod filters. This is a strong bike that pulls like a beast all the way to 10k. Very lightened up from stock. This is a real hoot to ride!
So, here’s the run down.
– 1981 CB750K, nearly everything has been re-done or restored. The donor bike was a barn find in Austin MN that had only 8700 miles on it.
– Engine has 8700 miles on it with excellent compression in all cylinders (~145ft-lbs)
– Frame was torn down fully, stripped, and powder coated silver. A few tabs/things were cut off the frame before it was restored. Such as the center-stand (there isn’t one now).
– Tank was totally restored with a sweet silver and orange color scheme.
– The front-end was replaced with the front-end from a 2012 CBR600RR front-end. The complete front-end: wheel, brakes, forks, triples, and clipons. I used the Classifed Moto triple tree swap service, so you know the work was well done, as well as new headset bearings. Also installed were stainless steel braided brake lines.
– New Tires – Bridgestone Battleaxes front and rear.
– The seat pan was retained, but it was totally re-upholstered for a slimmed-down sleek look. I retained the ability for biposto (2-up) riding for the wife.
– New DID o-ring chain.
– New NGK Iridium spark plugs
– New headlight, tail light, and turn signals (which all work correctly!). Headlight is mounted on a low-rider custom AL bracket that is pretty slick (no fork ears here)
– Gauges. Single tach that uses the stock cable. I’m using a Sigma bike computer for a speedo. Quite accurate and very moto looking. You can pop on an Acewell for a very sweet look.
– Clipons. From the 2012 front-end.
– Bar-end mirrors that are nice – you don’t have a mirror filled with elbow …
– While the wiring harness is original, the battery is replaced with a Ballistic multi cell and the main electrics are tucked-up in a custom fabricated box under the seat.
– New alternator rotor, stator, and regulator/rectifier as well. So, a fully replaced charging system. Old Honda’s still had some challenges there, so don’t expect a modern charging system. Thats part of the charm of old bikes!
– The carbs have been completely re-built with even new o-rings. Re-jetted to accommodate the 4-into-1 header and open pipe. The stock air box has been replaced with UNI flow pod filters. These are much less susceptible to power loss with a cross-wind than the Emgo or K&N pods.
I’ve been riding a little to work and such. Today I rode out to Excelsior and back. Nice ride. The bike is a little buzzy – it’s a 30+ year old 750! I kind of expect it to “have some character”, but no leaks or breakdowns! Here are some pics with the nicer camera and outside in some real light.
Took the CB out today after a little not-charging incident over the weekend. Here it is at the parking garage at my satellite office. Ride is good but buzzy. May have to put some kind of vibe dampeners in the bars.
Well, I buttoned up the front light and did a little more ogling. The next step, really, is to schlep it off to Bluecat for tires, brakelines, and some electrical work. And then a license plate … It’s a far cry from where it started.
Headlight and gauge bracket:
View from the seat:
With the longer shocks and the headlight lowered, it’s totally the right stance. Get some balanced tires on there and this thing will be bitchin’.
I picked up the tank and plopped it on the bike. Along with the seat, it looks pretty awesome! I definitely think that the long shocks will need to go back on – it’s just too low. Also, the headlight bracket will get re-done. Really don’t like it. But the tank and the overall stance is killer.
I fabbed a different kind of headlight/tach mount. It was fairly complicated and consisted of needing multiple, symmetric bends in 1/8″ AL plate to make. Suffice to say, my vision exceeded my abilities. It doesn’t look too bad, but it’s not right, and it’s a little wonky. I don’t see this solution lasting too long. For one thing, it puts the headlight higher than I want. I also trimmed up the rear fender plastic part. Really just need a tank, some tires, and new brake lines. Oh, and it will need to hold a charge … Getting there.
And Classified Moto just dropped a bike that made my shorts tight. Sets a pretty high bar.
So, between being deathly ill with what resembled TB and having my parents visit for a weekend, there hasn’t been a lot of progress. I got a little more done last night and tonight. Mostly, I got the new battery installed in the custom electrics box with some “custom” wiring. With a good ground, it cranks! Of course, no gas yet … The tail light and headlight both work well (that is, the brake light comes on when either brake is applied …). The turn signals don’t work right. Still chasing that little electrical gremlin down.
I heard that the tank is close to done, so I need to get my butt in gear and finish the dashboard and headlight assembly!!
When I get it all back together, I’ll take it over to Bluecat and have them go over it all, mount some new tires, and re-do the front brake lines with braided jobbies. I’ll keep the airbox for now – too expensive at the moment to do a bunch of jetting too!