I recently picked up a Space Trailer and tricked it out with side rails, cross-bars, spare tire, and stabilizer jacks. I put some bike racks on it and the Yakima Skybox that I usually put on the car. Tons of space, rides nice, and no cross-bar noise on the roof of the car!
I wasn’t done, however. I was inspired to build a chuck box to go inside, with a propane grill, a 2-burner propane stove, a 20lb propane tank, lots of storage, and a pivoting cover that turns into a prep-counter! Altogether, a very sweet adventure trailer. You can throw a roof-top tent on it, or just clip some bug net around the open lid with a plush pad inside.
Our trip to PEI inspired me to finish a project. This cracked mirror has been waiting for reincarnation. Using clear epoxy and some stones, sea glass, and shells from PEI and the North Shore, we stabilized the glass and made it pretty enough for the patio. It’s a nice way to use our beach treasures, too!
We were inspired by one of Ron’s biggest fans (our friend, Sophia) to transform a gently used 18 inch doll into a gift that any HP loving kid could appreciate! It was a really fun challenge- starting with a red-haired doll from eBay, we began by cutting her hair and eyelashes, removing her painted lips and adding freckles and eyebrows. With a knitted Weasley sweater and some wizarding accessories, the transformation was complete- almost magic!
We set up a temporary kitchen in the living room and will have access to the refrigerator, so we should be able to live here through most of the process. Our neighbors have been great, inviting us over for dinner and offering use of their kitchens.
This is the ironing board cabinet which was behind the refrigerator! We’re going to modify it to use for coats and shoes. All the original cabinets the the new counter tops were removed in good condition to be reused in our basement! There were 3 layers of flooring. The original was a pretty linoleum, which I would have loved to keep if it had been in good condition.
I’ve updated my “branch of many seasons” for December. I decided to display my collection of Feliz Navidad ornaments, which was started by my friend, Peggy, the other Spanish teacher at my first teaching job, one each Christmas during the years we taught together. It was a clever gift, I’ve always thought.
The cool branch came from the Noska Homestead (thank you!). You can see the naked branch in my Thanksgiving post. It is quite unique. Lots of people have asked me where I got it. Gabe and Greta, you could start a Tree/Branch business!
Since Bryant and I are raising our kids as Universalists/ Secular Humanists, (if one insists on a label) we embrace a variety of religious traditions, and we use them to teach the kids about the world. One of our favorites is the Mexican/ Central American holiday, the Day of the Dead. It combines traditions of the Aztec festival commemorating the dead with the Catholic tradition of All Saints and All Souls Day. It’s a bit like Memorial Day in the US, but much more festive! We see it as a great way to teach our kids about death. The tradition has gone mainstream in the US during the last 10 years or so. Here in Minneapolis you can buy most of the traditional things for the celebration…pan de muerto, papel picado, calaveras de azúcar. Even Target is in on the action. This year they had lots of Day of the Dead products! Stores in Latino areas even brought in fresh “cempasuchil” flowers, like marigolds, used for decorating grave sites and altars.
My friends from Mexico have given us some beautiful decorations for our altar. This year we celebrated the memory of Bryant’s grandma, Oma, who passed away in May. We make recipes that our loved ones made or enjoyed, and we tell stories of that person so the kids will have some memories of them, too. It’s a beautiful thing!
This year I had to find a new branch to use as a photo display. The old one was taking too much storage space. I lucked out since this stick had been scavenged during a walk in the woods last fall and stashed in the kids’ bedroom. I came across it while cleaning their shelves and intended to hang their necklaces on it, but then I remembered my Halloween photos and thought it’d be just right. The photos are double sided so they don’t show quite as well, but it works.
The remodel of our upstairs bathroom, which we intended to do when we first moved in 8 years ago, is finally done! Unfortunately, I didn’t take “before” photos until the project was underway and Matt, of Matt’s Tile Works, had already pulled out the old shower insert and taken down the short wall that came out from the edge of the window to form the third wall of the shower. It was very tiny and in terrible condition. The bathroom seems much lighter and spacious now, even though the new shower is larger.
We replaced all of the fixtures and had Matt build us a new tiled shower. There were no major problems and we are very happy with the results! We managed to keep the costs at about 1/2 of what we were quoted by two other contractors. And those quotes included only an acrylic shower, not tile. So we did well!
I painted and Bryant did some small finishing himself. I’m really happy with the lights and paint color after trying several light styles and shades of paint. I think it was worth the time sampling and exchanging!